AFVi’s CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification is designed according to the requirements for a professional certification program prescribed by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). To ensure quality, uniformity and impartiality, the certification program is overseen by an independent Advisory Board comprised of CNG cylinder, fuel system and vehicle manufacturers, as well as end users.
The content of AFVi’s rigorous certification program has been identified through a job study of the tasks required to be performed by CNG Fuel System Inspectors. Content is periodically updated as needed based on additional job studies, updates to applicable codes and standards or other factors.
The exam consists of 60 questions that measure the participant’s knowledge and ability to apply skills and competencies required to perform a thorough CNG fuel system inspection on a natural gas powered vehicle according to all applicable national codes, standards and industry best practices.
There are two modes of testing for AFVi’s CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification: (1) a live-proctored exam, offered in conjunction with live group training; or (2) an online, electronically-proctored exam that can be scheduled individually by the participant and taken online at a time of their choosing.
AFVi’s CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification is valid for a period of five years. AFVi maintains a database of all CNG Fuel System Inspectors certified by AFVi, as well as a notification system to alert certificates when their certification is scheduled for renewal.
AFVi conducts its CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification program independently from its training programs. While training is advisable, participation in the certification assessment is not contingent upon a participant having taken any training courses offered by AFVi or any other training provider.
Certificants of the AFVi CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification program are designated as AFVi-Certified CNG Fuel System Inspectors. Certificants receive a certificant number, identification card and certification document.
Online registration requires credit card payment and a unique email address for each exam participant.
Offline registration is only for those paying by check or government purchase order. The offline form and instructions are found on the registration page.
The fee for CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification is $295. This non-refundable fee covers the cost of the initial exam, one complimentary re-take (if necessary), management of all records, the certification document and identification card. Online registration is subject to a processing fee.
- Background Knowledge (to include properties and characteristics of CNG, Fuel System Components, Leak Checking)
- Preparation for Inspection
- Required Inspection Documents
- Inspecting Fill Receptacle, Secondary Check Valve, Defueling Valve and Defueling Receptacle
- Inspecting Cylinder Valve and Pressure Relief Device
- Inspecting Cylinder Shields/Covers, Mounting Brackets and Cylinders
- Inspecting Fuel System Isolation Valve, High-Pressure Coalescing Filter,
- Inspecting Fuel Shut-Off Solenoid, High-Pressure Fuel Gauge, Regulator
- Verifying Installation of CNG Fuel System According to Codes
- Determining Final Disposition
- Completing Inspection Reports
- Defueling, Decommissioning and Disposal of CNG Cylinders